When you first start teaching your baby sign language, pick just three to five signs and reinforce them with lots of repetition. You want to pick words that are meaningful to your baby and that you will get the chance to use a lot during your day. Repetition is the secret behind teaching baby signs.
Here are ten signs that make good first signs.
A – Friends & Family Signs
The people around baby are the most important things in her life, so make great first signs.
- Mommy – Mom is number one to your baby and you spend a lot of time together so makes a great first sign. Since you are there in person you probably don’t need the flash card, but printing it out might help you learn the sign.
- Daddy – The dad sign is another one that babies are quick to latch onto.
- Friends/Family – Close family or friends that your baby gets to see a lot of are also great first signs, particularly if they are caregivers for your baby. For example, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, grandmother, or grandfather.
- Pets – If your baby’s collapses into giggles every time your dog or cat gets near, then these are going to make good first signs.
B – Food
A close second behind family is food. The food signs are also useful because they let you avert tantrums by letting your baby tell you what she wants instead of crying.
- Milk – Milk is a natural choice to teach young children whether they are drinking breast milk, cow’s milk, formula, or even goat’s milk.
- More – More is a very practical sign because it lets your baby communicate when she really wants more food, and when she is not really interested any more.
C – Fun Signs
You can also do a few signs for things that your baby thinks of as fun.
- Fan – Babies seem to have an obsession with overhead fans. They just love them. Similarly, the overhead light is very popular.
- Animals – Babies enjoy learning anything to do with animals. You up the fun level by making sounds to accompany the signs. Try the signs for lion, monkey, or frog.
- Happy – The happy sign lets your baby share when she is having fun which just spreads the fun around and makes her even happier.
- Book – For children that enjoy story time, this is a sign that baby’s are highly motivated to learn.
Get The Kit & Sign Smarter
The Baby Sign Language Kits, bundle together everything you need to get started with signing in one box, at a steep discount. The premium kit includes: (1) Baby Sign Language DVDs & CDs, (2) Baby Sign Language Guide Book; (3) Baby Sign Language Dictionary: (4) Baby Sign Language Flash Cards; and (5) Baby Sign Language Wall Chart.
Signing Time DVDs: Learning Made Fun
Baby Sign Language DVDs teach your baby to sign while keeping them entertained. This Emmy Award nominated program, teaches all the basics in a fun musical format. Your baby will learn:
- Food Signs – never miss when they are hungry, thirsty, want more or are all done
- Utility Signs – skip tantrums and understand when they are too hot, too cold, or need a diaper change
- Family Signs – greet grandma and grandpa
Flash Cards: Expand Vocabulary
Flash Cards expand your baby’s signing vocabulary giving them more ways to communicate and express their creativity.
- 52 Cards – add family, home, and animal signs
- Illustrated – pictures on the front, the sign on the reserve
- Durable – board mounted & includes a hard case for storage
Get The Kit & Sign Smarter
Teaching Guide: Get Faster Results
Teaching Guide our best information on teaching Baby Sign Language. Topics covered include
- Pepperberg Method – teach signs twice as fast
- Phrases – combining signs to make simple phrases
- Transition to Speech – transition to talking
Signing Dictionary: 600 Signs at Your Fingertips
Signing Dictionary puts over 600 signs at your fingertips. Always have the right sign available to match your child’s interest.
- 600 Signs – have the right sign available when you need it
- Illustrated – each sign includes two diagrams with both starting and ending positions
- Letters & Numbers – start counting and alphabet games
Wall Chart: Reminder for Caregivers
Wall Chart provides a quick reminder of the basic signs. Let babysitters, grandparents, and other caregivers understand the signs.
- 14 Signs – all the basic signs
- Glossy Coating – wipe clean waterproof coating
- 24″ x 36″ – large format poster